I am asking for your support on a research project studying elite-level athletes’ retirement and outcome experiences. You can read more on the website www.AthleteTransitionStudy.com.
Although competing at the highest levels of sport was a highlight of my life, retiring wasn’t easy. Living post-sport is a significant challenge, fraught with mental, physical, social, financial, cognitive, occupation, and identity changes. Unfortunately, most people outside of sport are unaware of these hardships. Worse, it can feel like people inside of sport don’t care or don’t prioritize athletes once we’re off the roster.
The Athlete Transition Study addresses the complete life picture of athletes during their transition into retirement and long-term. The more athletes who take the survey, the better the results, and the more we will learn about how to best help future athletes during and after their careers. Go to www.AthleteTransitionStudy.com to take the survey, find resources, and read about the study and this vital issue. If you are willing, please share your personal experience on the Your Story page.
Please consider sending a Tweet, posting on social media, and emailing your network to spread the word about this study. Here is a list of potential recipients in your network:
- School officials from your alma-mater who can email the alumni list,
- Friends of yours who are active or retired athletes,
- Representatives from your sponsors
- Social media posts on Facebook and Instagram. I am attaching a web-ad that you can use
- Coordinators of programs that support athletes,
- Post to your Twitter account the following: Retired elite athletes from all sports – please share the story of your experience by completing a survey at www.AthleteTransitionStudy.com! https://vimeo.com/541857365 (note: make sure to uploaded the vimeo video into your Twitter account to post it.
Thanks for your time and consideration. Supporting athletes in their retirement is an important issue to me, and I appreciate your interest.